Perhaps you’ve decided to wait until you have succeeded in your field, or found your soul mate? Maybe you’re waiting for everyone in your family to become happy first, before you can allow yourself to have happiness as a way of life. You might be waiting for some outside stamp of approval before you are safe enough to decide for yourself what your own vibration will be set at.
If this sounds like you, you may be waiting a long time. Some people just aren’t ready to be happy yet. Others don’t believe it’s possible. After all, why should anyone be happy when there is so much pain in this world? How can you feel good when there is all that suffering out there? That must all be solved first!
Would you believe that some people aren’t happy unless they’re miserable? Others don’t feel safe being “too” happy – they believe that if they become so, all of their joy will be taken from them in an undefined tragedy. Drama and unhappiness make things real for some folks. That doesn’t mean you have to join them.
Happiness is an energy, a feeling, a way of life, a way to be and become. Happiness is of the spirit.
You were born to have this. As a being, you can be born with a happy disposition already in place. You can also show up waiting for some external source that will “make” you happy. If you are waiting for the mysterious ingredient that is sure to bring this to you, you may be missing the point. It’s an energy you decide to have.
You might have spent your formative years around people who couldn’t be happy no matter what they had. Some people can’t see how much they already have because something is missing. That something is spirit, and you already have one of those. So you already have what you need to be happy!
In case you’ve forgotten how, here’s a couple of ideas to remind yourself.
- Find gratitude for what you already have. This helps you get back into the present time, which is where it’s all happening, and where you can be happy now. Write it down, speak it out loud, feel it. Hint: gratitude for your body and your life is a good place to begin.
- Forgiveness. Let go of the grudge. Erase the slate. Stop blaming others for your unhappiness. You’ve just given over your power if you’re doing this.
- Be kind to others. Say thoughtful kind things, notice life happening around you. Become aware, in each moment, of how truly magical life is.
- Watch “A Christmas Carol” and pay close attention to Scrooge. Note the part of the story when he actually decides to become happy. What will it take for you to remember that you can be happy too? Hey, if Scrooge can do it…
- Remember that happiness is a ‘do it yourself’ project, but that you can also ask others for help. However, nobody else can actually become happy for you. That is your job.
- Most importantly, decide to be happy. Speak it out loud, frequently. Tell yourself it is possible. You will find your way there once you begin looking.